Dave & Dot's 25th Anniverary Tour

Week 4 - St. Louis, MO to Nashville, TN

Wednesday, October 24th - Hey Dot . . . I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!

Today we traveled to Nashville, TN, the home of country music and the Grand Ole Opry. We will be here 4 days, staying with a cousin I have never met, Kathy Boyd, daughter of Harold McHenry, my father's brother, whose cemetery stone we discovered last week.

Our excitement began almost as soon as we hit the highway. We left St. Louis around 10:00am and stopped for a bite to eat at a Cracker Barrel in East St. Louis, which is actually in Illinois. Shortly after that we hit a blinding rain storm and it lasted nearly a half hour. Then as we listened to the radio out of St. Louis, we heard the emergency broadcast system announce that people should start heading for their basements because a tornado had been sited. We were barely 50 miles out of St. Louis and the storm was chasing us through Illinois! The black cloud in my rear view mirror was very ominous!

We finally got out of the rain storm we were in and as we headed south through the Illinois & Kentucky countryside the wind just kept gusting and gusting, sometimes nearly knocking us off the road. The wind finally subsided as we neared the Tennessee border. We again took a small detour, this time at Dot’s request, and entered another small Midwestern town called Metropolis, IL. One guess who is represented here . . . yep, that’s right, . . . Superman! From a 10 foot fiberglass figure of him in front of City Hall to the representative phone booth and the Superman museum, the boy wonder was everywhere. What people will do to make money! We finally left a few hours later and traveled into Tennessee and our next stop, the Boyds home.

We arrived around 4:30pm, unscathed but slightly beaten by all the wind of the day. We spent some time visiting and getting caught up with the family and then went out to eat a few hours later and when we left the restaurant it had begun to rain. As Kathy took us through town to see a few sights, the sky literally opened up and the torrential rains began. It was harder than I had ever seen and Kathy agreed that it was as hard a rain as she had ever seen in these parts. By the time we got home, the roads were flooded, and the sky was lightimg up almost constantly from all the continuous lighting. The thunder was nearly deafning!  Never had I ever witnessed anything like that! Nor do I want to again. The weather report said that there were no tornados but come morning there were several trees down around the area and some signs busted up and on the ground. A really good start to our time in Nashville . . .